The chance of seeing chicken and waffles offered on a menu at your favourite low-key or gourmet restaurant is steadily growing! There are even chicken and waffle shops popping up across North America at a continuous rate. This dish is usually served one of two ways, with a chicken based gravy or with the liquid gold of maple syrup (we prefer the latter, because sweet and salty!). To amp up the usual dish even more, we thought we’d replace the usual breadcrumb coating with our delicious Maple Bacon Kettle Chips all crushed up (we threw some Srirachup in there too). Boy were we right, this is a easy oven baked treat that’ll taste just as good as its deep-fried sibling! Served best with your favourite Belgian Style waffle recipe.
**Make sure to grab a waffle recipe!
Makes: 2 Servings (Chicken Only)
Time: 1 hr 30 minutes
- Flour- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Paprika- 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Neal Brothers Kettle Chips (Maple Bacon & Srirachup)- 1/3 bag each
- Butter- 2 Tbsp
- Egg- 1 Large
- Chicken Breast, boneless- 1/2 lb, cut into strips
- Green Onions- 2, chopped for garnish
- Cutting Board- 2 (one for meat and one for green onions)
- Knife- 2 (one for meat and one for green onions)
- Ziploc Bag- to crush chips in
- Bowls/Plates- 3 (for dipping stations)
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
Directions (Chicken Only)
1. Whisk together dry ingredients (except chips) in bowl.
2. Crush chips and place in bowl or shallow dish.
3. Grease a baking sheet or oven-safe dish and set aside.
4. Beat egg in small bowl.
5. Line up bowls/dishes beside each other.
6. Cut chicken breast into strips.
7. Dip chicken into flour mixture and cover completely.
8. Dip into egg mixture, then into crushed chips.
9. Place onto baking sheet or oven-safe dish.
10. Repeat with remaining chicken strips.
11. Place chicken strips into fridge for 1 hour.
12. Prepare waffle batter.
13. Preheat oven to 400F.
14. Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the chicken pieces.
15. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken reaches the appropriate temperature (165F breast meat and 180 dark meat).
16. Heat waffle maker, and prepare waffles.
17. Remove, place on top of freshly cooked (or toasted) waffles. Drizzle maple syrup over, add some hot sauce if you like, and sprinkle with chips (not from the raw chicken dish) and green onions.