Who does not love a good brunch!? Here at Neal Brothers, we use our products in so many different ways, and this deliciously breakfast staple showcases our pasta sauces with ease. Eggs Shakshuka is a traditionally spicy tomato sauce dish complete with poached eggs, basil, and melted cheese! Top that off with some good crusty bread, and this one wins brunch by a mile.
Serves: 1-3 (dependent on your hunger)
Time: 30 minutes
- Neal Brothers Pasta Sauce, Arrabbiata- 1 to 1.5 cups
- Oregano- 1.5 Tbsp
- Chili Flakes- 1 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper- 1 tsp
- Garlic- 1 Clove, minced
- Basil- 1 Sprig
- Eggs- 3
- Parmesan- 2 Tbsp
- Crusty Bread- several slices
- 6″ Cast Iron Skillet (large enamelled pan)
- Measuring Spoons
1.Place cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. If using the cast-iron skillet, pre-heat oven to 350F. If not using an oven-safe pan, you will cook the eggs on your stove top only.
2.Mince garlic, saute in pan heated over medium-high heat.
3. Add Neal Brothers Organic pasta sauce (we love the kick of Arrabbiata), chili flakes, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add in half parmesan and basil leaves, stir, and simmer 1 minute.
5. Carefully create three holes, crack eggs into the holes.
6. Cook eggs on cooktop (if using a larger non-oven safe pan) until egg whites are set and yolks are still runny.
7. If using a skillet, achieve same goal (as step 5), then with either method gently add parmesan and basil to the dish. The oven takes approximately 8 minutes to get to this point.
8. Continue to cook via stovetop until desired doneness has been reached. *If you prefer runny eggs, like us, then test eggs by gently touching yolks with spoon, you want them to still feel liquid-like underneath the pressure.
9. If using the oven, increase heat to broil (525F) and cook for 3 minutes to melt cheese. Remove from oven from your eggs have reached your desired consistency.
10. Cut up bread, scoop some delicious eggs on there, and enjoy!