Whether you celebrate valentine’s day or not, it’s the perfect excuse to indulge in the good stuff –Chocolate! I’m talking the rich, smooth dark kind that can actually be good for your health! Dark varieties with 65% or more pure cacao have been shown to enhance cardiovascular health, lower blood pressure and promote mood boosting endorphins-sign me up!
These two recipes are super simple and make for a great gift. I used a combination of 66% and 99% pure organic chocolate by TCHO to create a delicious, bittersweet flavour.
Ingredients for chocolate covered strawberries and crisps:
1 carton of fresh strawberries, washed and dried well.
½ a package of TCHO 66% dark chocolate baking discs
½ a package of TCHO 99% dark chocolate critters
**(alternately you could just use 1 package of either kind)
1 package of Hippie Snacks coconut chips
1 package of Lesley Stowe’s Salty date and almond raincoast crisps
A medium sized pot and glass bowl that sits halfway in the pot
2 baking trays lined with parchment paper
- Prepare strawberries and line baking trays with parchment
- Crush hippie chips in the bag into small pieces and pour out onto a plate
- Place a small amount of water in a medium pot about ¼ full and place glass bowl on top to make a double boiler (be sure the bowl isn’t submerged in the water) Add in your TCHO chocolate
- Once water boils, reduce to a simmer and stir chocolate with a spatula until it melts.
- Once melted, carefully remove the bowl with oven mitts
- Using a toothpick inserted into the top of the strawberry, dip each in to coat
- Place chocolate covered strawberries on hippie chips lightly to coat all sides and place on the baking tray
- For the chocolate covered crisps: dip each to coat half in chocolate and remove any excess to create a thin layer-place on baking sheet
- Pop trays in the fridge to let everything set up
Enjoy with loved ones, a glass of bubbly or a good red wine!